Permanent Residents are allowed to live and work in the U.S. regardless of visa status or sponsor. Permanent residents who obtained their green cards through family-based immigration may also be eligible to become citizens after five (or, in some cases, three) years, while those who obtained their green cards through employment-based immigration may be eligible to become citizens after five years. There are many avenues to obtaining permanent residence, including:
Family, Employment, Humanitarian, Diversity Lottery.
Employment-based Permanent Residence
There are five preference categories of employment-based immigration. Most categories require sponsorship by a U.S. employer, but some do not. The categories of employment-based immigration are as follows:
- EB-1: Extraordinary Ability/Outstanding Professors and Researchers/Multinational Executives
- EB-2: Exceptional Ability and Advanced Degree Professionals
- EB-3: Other Professionals, Skilled Workers and Unskilled Workers
- EB-4: Religious Workers and other Special Immigrants
- EB-5: Immigrant Investors
Family-Based Permanent Residence
Family-based immigration is divided into two categories:
- Immediate Relatives: Spouses, Parents and Unmarried Children of U.S. citizens. This category is not subject to numerical limitations.
- Preference Relatives: There are four preference categories subject to numerical limitations, which means that if a visa number is not available there could be lengthy waits depending on the preference category.
- First Preference: Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
- Second Preference: Spouses and unmarried sons and daughters of Permanent Residents
- Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
- Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens
Professionals • Investors • Visitors
Green Cards • Employers • Entrepreneurs
Students • Citizenship
Indus Law Firm specializes in all aspects of employment and corporate immigration law, including student, worker and investor visas. We provide superior customer service and legal advocacy for our clients, using cutting-edge technology to provide accessibility and consistency.