H-1B Visa

Specialty Occupation Workers

The H-1B visa is geared towards foreign nationals who possess at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and plan on working in the U.S. in a specialty occupation. This visa classification allows a foreign national to work in the United States for a maximum of six years, issued in increments of up to three years by the USCIS. Dependent spouses and children may not work, but are allowed to study.

Our firm provides comprehensive H-1B## visa services to startups, small to mid-size companies, and large multinationals in a wide variety of industries and occupations. We have extensive expertise in the demanding IT Consulting, Hospitality and Medical industries. We work with both employers and employees to develop strategies, examine opportunities and obligations, and offer unparalleled guidance and support for smooth, efficient processing.

L-1 Visa

Intra-company Transferees

The L-1 visa category is typically used for the transfer of certain employees within multinational companies to the U.S. This category permits a U.S. company to temporarily transfer these employees from an affiliated foreign company. The employee may be transferred to an Executive/Managerial position (L-1A) or to a Specialized Knowledge position (L-1B) to qualify for this classification.

Our firm guides employers in the preparation of individual and blanket L-1 petitions. We also provide complete business services to companies considering or initiating the establishment of a new office in the United States, including incorporation, logistics, and compliance.

R-1 Visa

Religious Workers

The R-1 visa is reserved for foreign nationals who are coming to the United States to work for a non-profit religious organization in the United States (or an organization which is affiliated with the religious denomination in the United States) to work as a minister or in a religious vocation or occupation.

Our firm guides clients in the complex process of obtaining R-1 classification status within the U.S. or a visa from a consular post abroad. Our firm conducts due diligence with regard to both the religious institution’s and religious worker’s eligibility, and also provides assistance with maintenance, extension and/or change in nonimmigrant status.

TN Visa

NAFTA Professionals

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada and Mexico. The TN category is a unique visa option for citizens of Canada and Mexico who wish to work in the United States. There is no numerical limit or cap on the number of TN visas that may be issued. This category is for professionals, who are offered employment in a specific occupation listed in NAFTA.

Our firm guides clients in the complex process of obtaining TN visa status within the U.S. or a visa at a consular post abroad. Our firm also provides assistance with maintenance, extension and change in nonimmigrant status.

Other Visas

There are many other visa categories that allow foreign nationals to work in the U.S., each with their own unique requirements and guidelines, including but not limited to:

  • E-1 Treaty Trader
  • E-2 Treaty Investors
  • E-3 Certain Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia
  • H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers
  • H-2B Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers
  • I Representatives of Foreign Media
  • O-1 Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement
  • P-1 Internationally Recognized Athletes or Performers
  • Q Cultural Exchange Visitors


E-2 Visa

E-2 Treaty Investor

The E-2 nonimmigrant classification allows foreign nationals of a treaty country (a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation) to be admitted to the United States based on the investment of a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide U.S. enterprise.

E-2 visas are a complex classification that require extensive preparation and expertise. Our firm provides knowledgeable  assistance with application processing, business plans, project due diligence and source of funds issues to ensure reliable results within the U.S. and at consular posts abroad.

EB-5 Visa

EB-5 Immigrant Investors

The EB-5 category is a green card vehicle based on investment in a U.S. enterprise. Foreign nationals who invest $1 million USD (or $500,000 if in a Targeted Employment Area) are eligible to self-petition for a green card under this preference category. The immigrant investor must be actively involved in the investment enterprise and the enterprise must create or preserve at least 10 jobs for U.S. workers.

Indus Law Firm specializes in EB-5 applications and understands the many moving parts involved, from project side due diligence, to ensuring source of funds. Our firm guides immigrant investors and entrepreneurs through each step of the process, from the initial application until investors are eligible for their ten-year green cards. Our experience and knowledge are invaluable to investors seeking solid, viable projects and reliable information about the EB-5 program.


B-1 Visa

B-1 Visitor for Business

The B-1 visa category allows foreign nationals to travel temporarily to the U.S. to consult with business associates, travel for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or conference on specific dates, settle an estate, or negotiate a contract. The B-1 Visa may also apply, in certain circumstances, to foreign medical students, personal/domestic attendants and certain religious workers.

Our firm provides comprehensive guidance to individuals and companies wishing to utilize the B-1 visa category to conduct business in the U.S., including establishing eligibility, identifying allowable activities and potential pitfalls, and complete application assistance.

B-2 Visa

B-2 Visitor for Recreation

The B-2 visa category allows foreign nationals to travel temporarily to the U.S. for recreation, including tourism, vacation (holiday), amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature, and participation by amateurs, who will receive no remuneration, in musical, sports and similar events or contests. The B-2 Visa may also apply to domestic partners not in a marital relationship as well as recreational courses of study (not leading to a degree).

Our firm provides comprehensive guidance to individuals and families wishing to utilize the B-2 visa category to visit the U.S., including demonstrating ties to your home country, creating itineraries, and complete application assistance.

Visa Waiver Program

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of participating countries to travel to the U.S. for 90 days or less without first obtaining a visa.  Currently, 36 countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom

Green Cards

Permanent Residence

Permanent Residents are allowed to live and work in the U.S. regardless of visa status or sponsor. Permanent residents who obtained their green cards through family-based immigration may also be eligible to become citizens after five (or, in some cases, three) years, while those who obtained their green cards through employment-based immigration may be eligible to become citizens after five years. There are many avenues to obtaining permanent residence, including:

  • Family
  • Employment
  • Humanitarian
  • Diversity Lottery

Each category has its own set of requirements and obligations. It is imperative to plan ahead when considering immigration options so as to maximize the chances of obtaining permanent residence and maintaining it.

Indus Law Firm approaches each case as a unique challenge and provides clients with clear answers to their questions and concerns.

Employment-based Permanent Residence

There are five preference categories of employment-based immigration. Most categories require sponsorship by a U.S. employer, but some do not. The categories of employment-based immigration are as follows:

  • EB-1: Extraordinary Ability/Outstanding Professors and Researchers/Multinational Executives
  • EB-2: Exceptional Ability and Advanced Degree Professionals
  • EB-3: Other Professionals, Skilled Workers and Unskilled Workers
  • EB-4: Religious Workers and other Special Immigrants
  • EB-5: Immigrant Investors

Employment-Based immigration is a complex and shifting landscape. Indus Law Firm guides employers and employees through every step of the process, providing expert advice and tailored solutions for companies and foreign nationals to ensure continuity and peace of mind.

We offer straightforward, reliable guidance in determining the appropriate preference category for foreign nationals, and develop long-term strategies to ensure consistency and predictability. Our firm offers extensive experience with labor certifications, educational equivalencies, and ability to pay issues.

Family-Based Permanent Residence

Family-based immigration is divided into two categories:

  1. Immediate Relatives: Spouses, Parents and Unmarried Children of U.S. citizens. This category is not subject to numerical limitations.
  2. Preference Relatives: There are four preference categories subject to numerical limitations, which means that if a visa number is not available there could be lengthy waits depending on the preference category.
    1. First Preference: Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
    2. Second Preference: Spouses and unmarried sons and daughters of Permanent Residents
    3. Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
    4. Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

Family-Based immigration can be a complicated, multi-step process. Indus Law Firm helps families at every step of the process, providing expert advice and tailored solutions so that family members get accurate and reliable results for ease of mind.

Our firm guides U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents through the long process of sponsoring relatives for green cards. Whether your relative is seeking to adjust status within the U.S. or obtaining a green card at a consulate abroad, our firm will be there to make sure you are prepared.



E-Verify is a free Internet-based system administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that compares information from an employee’s Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment eligibility.

While all federal contractors are required to enroll in the E-Verify system, private employers are not always required to do so. It is important to note, however, that some states have mandated enrollment in E-Verify for all employers.

Our firm can help your organization determine its obligations under federal law to ensure compliance.

I-9 Compliance

American employers increasingly rely on top global talent to grow their business, from start-up companies to large multinational corporations. Employers who wish to hire foreign nationals must navigate a complex maze of federal laws and regulations.

Pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) of 1986, employers must verify the identity and employment authorization of each person they hire. Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, helps employers to verify that foreign nationals are authorized to work in the United States.

Violations of IRCA can result in heavy sanctions or even criminal charges. Therefore, it is vital for employers to fully understand their duties and obligations when hiring foreign workers.

Our firm expertly guides employers of all sizes—whether startups or multinational corporations—through the complex process of bringing foreign nationals on board in industries as diverse as technology, finance, art, healthcare, manufacturing, and many more.


Entrepreneurship and innovation are the lifeblood of the U.S. economy. The United States must continue to welcome and retain the next generation of foreign entrepreneurs who will start new businesses and create new jobs here in America. Foreign nationals who wish to start businesses in the United States have several temporary and permanent options.

Nonimmigrant Visas

  • B-1 Business Visitor
  • F-1/OPT Optional Practical Training
  • H-1B Specialty Occupation Worker
  • O-1 Extraordinary Ability and Achievement
  • E-2 Treaty Investor
  • L-1 Intra-company Transferee

Immigrant Visas

  • EB-1 Extraordinary Ability
  • EB-2 Advanced Degree Professional/National Interest Waiver
  • EB-5 Immigrant Investor


F Visa

Academic Students

The F-1 visa category is reserved for academic students wishing to pursue a full course of study in the U.S. at an accredited university, college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, or other academic institution, including a language training program. The F-1 status is valid for the duration of the course of study and students are eligible for certain employment authorization.

Our firm provides comprehensive guidance for those wishing to enter the U.S. for study. We offer expertise and guidance regarding CPT, OPT, STEM extensions, Cap-Gap and changes of status.

M-1 Visa

Vocational & Technical Students

The M-1 visa category is for students who intend to pursue a vocational, non-academic program (other than a language training program) in a SEVIS certified institution in the United States. Examples of vocational study are training programs for health care technicians, machinists, dental hygienists, and other similar pursuits.

Our firm provides comprehensive guidance for obtaining M-1/M-2 status within the U.S. or a visa at a consular post abroad. We also provide advice on properly maintaining, extending and changing status.

J-1 Visa

Exchange Visitors

The J-1 visa category is for exchange visitors who intend to participate in an approved exchange visitor program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training. These programs are designed to promote the interchange or persons, knowledge, and skills, in the fields of education, arts, and science.

Our firm provides comprehensive assistance and advice with regard to obtaining J-1/J-2 status within the U.S. or a visa at a consular post abroad. We offer advice on properly maintaining, extending and changing status. We also offer advice regarding the two-year home residency requirement (HRR) and waiver options.

H-3 Visa

Nonimmigrant Trainee or Special Education Exchange Visitor

The H-3 nonimmigrant visa category allows foreign nationals to come temporarily to the United States as either a:

  • Trainee to receive training in any field of endeavor, other than graduate medical education or training, that is not available in the foreign national’s home country.
  • Special Education Exchange Visitor to participate in a special education exchange visitor training program that provides for practical training and experience in the education of children with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities

Our firm provides comprehensive assistance and advice with regard to obtaining H-3 status within the U.S. or a visa at a consular post abroad. We offer advice on properly maintaining, extending and changing status.


The United States has a long history of welcoming immigrants from every part of the world. America values the contributions of immigrants who continue to enrich this country and preserve its legacy as a land of freedom and opportunity.

Deciding to become a U.S. citizen is one of the most important decisions in an individual’s life. Eligible permanent residents must demonstrate commitment to the United States and loyalty to its Constitution. In return, they are rewarded with all the rights and privileges that are part of U.S. citizenship, including voting in local and national elections.

Our firm is proud to help eligible permanent residents take this important step in becoming fully engaged citizens. We assist clients through the application process, Civics and English examination, interview, and oath. We pride ourselves in taking on complex cases so that every individual can achieve the American Dream. We are also advocates for citizenship outreach and provide advice and guidance to nonprofits and advocacy groups.